Saturday, September 08, 2007

from the last weekend to the coming of this one

Remind me to never go to the international bookfair with only eight hundred bucks to spend, especially when the world is currently obsessed with graphic novels.

Funny, the people you see when taking the trains.

On the way home from the World Trade Center, the all-male car (since it's rush hour, and they're separating the women, most likely to avoid frotteurism the Japanese are notorious for, among other things) is quiet. Then, Pussycat Dolls music filtering from somebody's earphones. Not just any Pussycat Dolls music, mind you, but the And only one was wearing earphones at the time, and he had to be this big, dark guy that looked like a nightclub bouncer. In a train car that smelled of laborer's sweat and clattered on old tracks as if it would fall apart at any moment, the guy made my afternoon.

And that was just the first train.

The second train had this group of students playing around at being coño (many coños would easily notice the difference between playing at being coño and actually meaning it, and since I do not deny that I've been there, done that...), probably since everybody knows that playing coño will make everybody except the most coño of coños laugh. On the other hand, one can't put too many "What are you saying?"s, "You're right, you're right"s and "Oopsie"s within the duration of one train ride without sounding like you want somebody to punch you in the face, even if you are a girl. Posers, but they made my night. I confess, I really felt like punching something right after that ride, even if it wasn't somebody's face.

LOL.

At least I was able to get a brand-new copy of Gabriel Garcia Marquez's "Strange Pilgrims" for two hundred bucks. Marquez + Lovecraft (I didn't know he was shelved in the "Classics" section nowadays) made my day.

...

I'd like to believe that there are few things in the world cheesier than a two-hour bus ride of nothing but Mariah Carey (the cheesy Mariah Carey and not the hiphop-ish one nowadays, mind you) and Celine Dion (CELINE-FRIGGIN'-DION!) music videos. "I Still Believe" and "To Love You More" are just pure cheese. I could be wrong, though.

...


Speaking of cheese, for some reason nostalgia's taking over my taste in music. Think about it, though: which would you prefer waking up to in the morning, a cheesy and melodramatic Air Supply song or something by Fall Out Boy or My Chemical Romance that just jolts you out of bed?
I miss the nineties, when not only Michael but everybody learned to rock, instead of trying to be emo.
...

Theater season is coming. Note the eyebags that have grown as large, if not larger than the eyes of everybody involved in a theater production these days. As for patrons like me (or at least I'd like to believe), it's "621, 987 Taon ng Paglilimot" in Diliman this week, "As You Like It" in Diliman again next week, and "Rashomon" in UPLB next-next week. Time to go see some legs break.

...

I don't know. For some reason, the world's been too depressing for anybody's good lately. And I've only recently found out that intellectualization is actually a defence mechanism. I cry for my brain.

Demotivating.

posted by Ocnarf @ 4:13 PM   2 have spoken

2 Comments:

At 6:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i also bought strange pilgrims recently. weehee. :) however, i did not buy it at the book fair. sa national book store cubao branch ko nabili (kasama ng haunted ni chuck palahniuk at mercury visions of louis daguerre ni dominic smith. im bragging. haha). up to 75% ang discount kasi. bought stuff from anvil publishing sa book fair. they were selling books for P50. happy happy joy joy.

 
At 3:28 AM, Blogger Ocnarf said...

Kainis talaga. Really should make it a habit to bring more money for these things.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home