Friday, November 10, 2006

Perturbed



Yes, GMA (the channel, not the president) made a boo-boo.

I love English language nitty-gritty typos, if only to point them out (possibly embarrassing some in the process, but what the heck, it's not any one person's happines that makes the world keep on turning anyway).

"Comm Arts ako e."

(Comm Arts-related angst rant ahead)

I remember a friend telling me that a teacher once told their class that they were always watching their English the moment they found out there were Comm Arts students present in their class.

And don't get me started on the term "nosebleed", the typical elbizen's favorite scapegoat for anything that seems too intimidating or sophisticated for the said elbizen's seeming "humility".
Heck, what does the world have against sophistication, whose closest synonym is "worldly-wise"? Heck, everybody has to display some form of sophistication sooner or later. (Like I said, don't get me started.)

Lastly, I remember another friend who was failing her Econ subjects. She told me that upon receiving the bad news, her parents told her:
"Haay, mag-Comm Arts ka na lang."
It still perturbs me to think that after twenty-one centuries, we still think the world revolves purely around Science.

posted by Ocnarf @ 3:27 AM   2 have spoken

2 Comments:

At 8:07 AM, Blogger krista said...

ooohh, hindi kasi uplb commarts ang prod ng gma. HAR

but then they would argue, hey as long as the essence of the message is there, grammar/punct/tsutsu is irrelevant. ;)

little kuwento: i changed the title of my blog because my username is CAFFEINEATED. and around the time i first put this blog up (3rd year hs)i thought i was already spelling queen. :D so everytime i sign in to post a "sophisticated" rant, i remember my own mistake. LOL

but, NO, frankie, i think it's only in elbie where the science-centrism happens. we'll get more love from the "outside world". hehe.

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Ocnarf said...

But good grammar/punct/tsutsu is the first step behind effectively communicating a message.

Ignore nitty-gritty stuff like this, and we may all be talking and writing Engrish after a while.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home