Friday, December 23, 2005

You Learn Something From Everything, Even From Somebody Else's Foul-mouthed... um... Bitching...

I like UPLB. The people, the place, the idea of it all exudes an aura different from when I was studying at the Ateneo (a place I sadly do not feel "at home" with anymore").

Curious, I asked my mom once, "What makes Iskolars ng Bayan so... so... likeable?"

"They're down-to-earth, and they're humble," she answered. She described, in so few words, how I felt towards UP and it's inhabitants.

Humility...

I stumbled upon this article about the time I started writing for this blog, written by some guy called Maddox, a person notorious for his foul-mouthed ranting about anything and everything under the sun in his website which he calls "The Best Page in the Universe." A very enlightening read for us so-called "bloggers," if you can stand all his sarcasm.

Sometimes, a slap in the face (literal or figurative) is all somebody needs for him/her to learn...

"If the grass is greener on the other side, then the guy with the greener grass doesn't think your grass is greener now does he, asshole? The message that this proverb is trying to stumble through is that everything always looks more attractive when you don't have it. I'm sure there are millionaires crying themselves to sleep every night because they don't live in a trailer park. Just face it: sometimes nobody envies you. There has to be a bottom and that bottom is probably you."

-George Ouzounian (a. k. a. Maddox), "Phrases That Make My Blood Boil"

Crude, yes, but you'd have to admit, the guy gets his point across pretty quickly, don't you think?

Oh yeah, if there's one more thing I've learned from the guy, it's this: excessive ranting is never a good thing. Try it for yourself: lock yourself up in a room, make a list of everything you hate, then read that list over and over. Pretty soon you'll emerge an angrier, if not a more depressed, person. Believe me, I've tried it, and it doesn't feel good.

No, sarcastic ranting is not cool. Nothing that makes you end up a worse person afterwards is.

posted by Ocnarf @ 12:08 AM   2 have spoken

2 Comments:

At 8:34 PM, Blogger krista said...

you might speak for the majority, but not for the entirety of the UPLB populace. :)

then again, i didn't go to Ateneo, so maybe that's why we have not-so-similar opinions...

i wouldn't argue on the "likeable" fact though :)

 
At 2:53 AM, Blogger Ocnarf said...

Like I said, I like UP. You don't have to.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home