Friday, May 04, 2007

"Colored" "Fruit"

Drinking is actually healthy. Way cool.
Any colored fruit might be made even more healthful with the addition of a splash of alcohol, they report in the Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture.
Only I was disturbed by what the term "colored fruit" was supposed to mean. So disturbed, in fact that I had to ask my mom who's a horticulturist in her spare time if black and white fruits existed. And when there were none, so disturbed that I thought of spoofing this poem, whose title I honestly don't know until now.

A black "man" talks to a white "man":
When I was born I was black,
When I grew up I was black,
When I'm sick I'm black,
When I go in the sun I'm black,
When I'm cold, I'm, black,
When I'm scared, I'm black,
When I'm sick, I'm black,
When I die I'll still be black.

But you: When you're born you're pink, like his "raspberries,"
When you grow up you're white, like the inside of his "pear,"
When you're sick, you're green, like his "limes,"
When you go in the sun you turn red, like his "cherries,"
When you're cold you turn blue, like his "berries,"
When you're scared, you're yellow, like his "banana,"
When you're bruised, you're purple, like his "grapes,"
and when you die you turn grey, like the mold on his "papaya."
And you have the nerve to call me colored, "fruit".

Remember: Racism is evil. So is gay-bashing.

posted by Ocnarf @ 9:10 AM   6 have spoken

6 Comments:

At 2:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

naalala ko tuloy yung borat. oo, alam ko mockumentary sya, pero na-offend ako sa mga banat nya.

check mo latest post ni irvin, spidey analysis. kairita yung mga readers, parang ngayon lang nakabasa ng ganun, parang walang alam sa pagiging kritikal, ganyan na ba mga kabataan ngayon?shyet. kung may isang bagay na pinagkaiba ng tao sa unggoy na sinasabing pinanggilangan ng tao, yun ay ang pagiging kritikal.

racism sucks talaga! lechugas!

 
At 10:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mapa-tv hanggang personal na buhay, madaming racist comments. tsk. tsk.
sa opisina issue rin ang racism. nakakbuwisit.

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger krista said...

when you place a disclaimer, do you necessarily neutralize the bashing? :P

and all krista could think of saying is: "oh, all together, what a lovely cocktail juice they would make."

i want to sell this brain to eBenta. haha.

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Ocnarf said...

Disclaimers can mean one of two things: the writer knows exactly what he's writing about, as the disclaimer shows his awareness of the morality challenged by his act, or the writer doesn't have a damn clue about what he wrote, in which the disclaimer must have been placed by him to unintentionally show that he doesn't have the slightest clue that what he is writing is undeniably racist.

Honestly, I prefer being the former.

(Shet, Douglas Adams' writing style is getting to me again...)

 
At 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

>Would that mean that we'd also have to put disclaimers when bashing emo peeps?

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Ocnarf said...

@Anonymous (Who are you?): There are three ways of looking at your question.

On one hand, showcasing your awareness may do the job of telling your readers that you're aware of your bashing.

On the other hand, African-Americans are an entirely different context as compared to emo people. While Blacks are constantly fighting the perjudice, emo people do nothing, seeing it (emo-bashing) as yet another form of attention for their dwindling egos.

On the third hand, it can be simply seen as simply sarcastic. Simple.

What the heck. Do whatever you want. >:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home